A skills programme by Tremendis Learning
Being a Mentor
Being a Mentor
What does a Mentor do?
- Assists the mentee to establish realistic career goals and plan how to achieve them
- Acts as a sounding board when the mentee wants to talk through decisions and ideas
- Challenges the mentee to face up to opportunities and problems, personal strengths and weaknesses
- Acts as a gateway to other people and sources of knowledge
- Seeks opportunities to help the mentee practise and develop key skills for the future
- Passes on know-how and essential thinking patterns and attitudes that might go with a different role or set of responsibilities
- Generates workable solutions together in a mutually respectful way
- Motivates, advises and supports whilst empowering the mentee to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own actions and development
What makes a good Mentor?
- Interested and willing to help others
- Prepared to give time and mental energy to the mentee
- Challenges assumptions and statements the mentee makes
- Able to offer a broad perspective and draw appropriately from experience
- Able to encourage the mentee to take charge of the agenda
- Able to offer positive and constructive feedback
- Competent in key mentoring skills: Coaching, listening and questioning, facilitating and networking
- Respects confidentiality
Mentoring Skills is a service offered by Tremendis Learning CC (2006/019194/23). Copyright Protected 2016, All rights reserved. Designed by Monre J Botes.